There are many decisions to make when setting up a commercial cannabis grow operation. One of the most important choices involves which growing style to use. There are several different techniques. Each one presents its own unique set of advantages and opportunities, and the right technique for you will depend on your specific needs.
What Are the Most Common Cannabis Growing Methodologies?
There are four primary techniques used by commercial cannabis grow operations:
- Hydroponics – Cannabis plants are grown in a nutrient-water solution as the growing medium. No soil is used with hydroponics.
- Aeroponics – This is another soilless growing application. The roots of your cannabis plants are suspended in air inside a chamber, and misters are used to spray water onto the roots.
- Aquaponics – Aquaponics uses a similar growing setup as hydroponics, but with a twist. Instead of inserting liquid nutrients into the water, your plants get their nutrients from the waste of fish swimming in the tank. While this is one of the most organic growing methods, it is very labor intensive. In addition, it’s expensive, comes with high risk management, and requires a very specific infrastructure to achieve a successful outcome.
- Geoponics – Cannabis plants are grown in soil. This is the only growing process that isn’t created by humans. Instead, it uses the earth the way mother nature intended growing to work.
Based on years of experience as cannabis growers, we’ve found that geoponics tends to result in the best results for commercial grow operations.
Why Is Geoponics the Best Style for My Commercial Cannabis Growing Operation?
There are several reasons why geoponics is our preferred growing method.
Soil is the easiest growing medium. You can produce a high-quality product with the simplest process. This is by far the most important benefit provided by geoponics. The order of difficulty (from easiest to hardest) of the different growing techniques is:
Aquaponics is by far the most difficult and labor intensive process due to the fact that you need to keep fish alive and constantly clean the tanks. Geoponics, on the other hand, is the easiest process since living soil contains all the nutrients and beneficial bacteria necessary to cultivate a healthy plant.
Geoponics provides you with the most affordable growing method. Hydroponics, aquaponics and aeroponics all require special equipment. Geoponics avoids the need for this highly specialized (and expensive) equipment. All you need is a container, living soil, and a water source.
Reduces Potential for Issues During the Process
Geoponics gives you a greater ability to manage potential problems that may arise during the grow cycle:
- It reduces the chance of human error
- It eliminates many of the extra components that may complicate the grow process – for example, environmental control problems associated with pH or chemical balance issues in your water aren’t present when you use geoponics
Soil is recyclable. You can use it over and over for future grow cycles. As a result, geoponics provides a cleaner, greener, more environmentally conscious growing solution.
SoHum Living Soils® Provides the Quality You Need for Geoponic Growing
SoHum Living Soils® has been created by long-time cannabis growers who know what it takes to achieve great results with your commercial grow operation. Our living soil has been specially designed to optimize your plant’s potential, producing higher yields and a better quality product.
You’ll benefit from using a living soil product that is both OMRI Certified and Clean Green Certified. This dual certification ensures all of our products align with clean green, organic and sustainable growing practices, allowing you to produce Clean Green Certified plants. In addition, you’ll experience a hassle-free growing process that reduces human error in the growing process.
View our store locator to find a SoHum distributor near you.